32-bit pam_winbind and 64-bit winbindd patch

Jim McDonough jmcd at samba.org
Tue Aug 14 13:23:25 GMT 2007

On 8/14/07, Pim Zandbergen <P.Zandbergen at macroscoop.nl> wrote:
> Is this still supposed to work?
>
> I'm trying to to have VMware Server authenticate against winbind.
> VMware Server uses pam, but it's a 32-bit application, so it uses
> 32-bit pam modules.
>
> This works fine with pam_winbind.so on a 32-bit Samba server,
> but on a 64-bit machine I'm getting

I haven't tried the patch you included, but what I have done
succesfully is change the padding size  in winbindd_nss.h (in
winbindd_request.data.padding), probably set to 1560 in your version,
to 1800.

My experience is that no matter what compiler typing tricks we try,
getting that guaranteed 8-byte alignment is harder than it seems.
I've seen quite a few attempts in this bit of code that work on some
platform/compiler that don't work on others.  The old-fashioned manual
alignment is what has worked for me.