idmap_rid Backend

Sven Oehme oehmes at de.ibm.com
Fri Aug 10 08:03:22 GMT 2007

Hi Simo,

i installed a bigger Samba Cluster today and used the rid back-end . I
finally got it Setup, but some comments from my side ..

First, why do i have to specify the UID and GID range twice ?

        #70000-150000
-->        winbind uid = 70000-200000
-->        winbind gid = 70000-200000
        winbind enum groups = no
        winbind enum users = no

        idmap domains = DOM1 DOM2

        idmap config DOM1:backend      = rid
        idmap config DOM1:base_rid     = 1000
-->        idmap config DOM1:range        = 70000 -149999
        idmap config DOM2:backend  = rid
        idmap config DOM2:base_rid = 1000
-->       idmap config DOM2:range    = 150000 - 199999

next thing is, if you use the config above (which is basically a copy and
past from man idmap_rid) it will not work as the base_rid in the man page
starts with 1000, but domain users for example is 513, so he tries to
resolve this one and fails as it is filtered out :

[2007/08/10 08:49:57, 5] nsswitch/idmap_rid.c:idmap_rid_sid_to_id(128)
  Requested id (69513) out of range (70000 - 149999). Filtered!

i think the first issue is a more cosmetic thing but worth to change as it
is not clear to my why you have to specify the range two times.
The Documentation thing should definitive be changed as anybody without
deeper knowledge will hit that trap :-)

thanks. Sven