nmblookup doesn't use lmhosts file to resolve names...

Aravinda Guzzar aguzzar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 09:14:08 GMT 2007

Hello,

We added a following entry to lmhosts file:

<ipv4-address>    <host-name>

When we executed "$ nmblookup <host-name>" and this resulted in the message
"name_query failed to find name <host-name>".

But when we tried the $nmblookup --lookup-by-ip <ipv4-address>, it was
successful in resolving.

Note that no special "name resolve order" was specified in smb.conf.

So, it appears like nmblookup does not use lmhosts file to resolve the
names. Could you please let us know if this is the case and whether it is an
intended behaviour?

Thanks in advance!