winbindd question

Aravinda Guzzar aguzzar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 01:40:52 GMT 2007

Hi,

1.

Can any one please tell me how does winbind daemon decides when to create a
new child process to service a request. I see that when winbind daemon
starts it creates a new child process (apart from the main parent) to handle
"WINBINDD_INIT_CONNECTION" command during its startup. When you execute any
command say wbinfo -u or -g or --allocate-uid I could see that it creates a
new child process some times and doesn't at sometimes. I couldn't come to
any conclusions either through code study or through these experiments when
and how it decides to create child process to handle a particular request.

2.

I could see the fork call gets hit even when I run "winbindd -i" in
interactive mode. The initialization sets Fork = False but fork() call is
infact get called even in interactive mode. Is it not possible to run
winbind daemon in single process, w/o child processes getting created?

3.

If some one can point me to a document to understand the winbind daemon
better it would be of very helpful to me.

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this.

regards
Aravind