[SAMBA4] we should create just one test environment

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Apr 30 10:04:08 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 12:59 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 11:39 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> >
> >> we have already make testenv SELFTEST_TESTENV=member
> >>
> >> we can make that the default for make testenv...
> >
> > But then it doesn't match how we run the tests otherwise.
> >
> > My point is that I don't want to have to constantly wonder:  what test
> > environment did we declare for this test, what test environment did it
> > get, and what is 'make testenv' giving me
> We only have three different ones at the moment (none, dc, member) so it
> should be easy to guess against which environment a test is being run.
> Once we get more, it may be harder to keep track, but then provisioning
> will be too expensive to set up all environments always anyway.

You keep saying that, and this seems to be the reason why we are doing
this the current way.  But I really don't buy it - we are going to be
doing a *lot* more tests against the member server, so we will almost
always have to pay that setup price.

I also think that we can reduce that price.

> We can print out the environment name if that helps.

That may be useful, but does not resolve my objection to the current
trend.

> > I really just want one setup, and I don't mind the extra smbd or member
> > server configuration if it ensures that all the tests run against a
> > consistent set of servers.
>
> > If we are only going to give the tests the environment they declare, are
> > we going to start up/shut down environments between tests?
> We do support doing that, though it is not the default. It can be very
> useful in tracking down, for example, whether a test is corrupting one
> of smbd's databases and thus is causing strange failures in subsequent
> tests.
>
> At the moment, though, we set up environments on a when-needed basis and
> close them all when selftest exits.

That's why I just want to set up a generally useful test environment
once, and run with that.  It can list 'provides: dc, member', if that
helps you keep track of what scripts require which parts, but I just
want one test network...

http://samba.org/~abartlet/