[SAMBA4] we should create just one test environment

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Apr 30 10:27:46 GMT 2007

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 11:04 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>> Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>>> I just think it's getting too complex.  It used to be very simple, and
>>> it isn't any more.
>> The only added complexity would be that there isn't just 'testenv' but
>> 'testenv-dc' and 'testenv-member', and there is just one test that uses
>> the latter at the moment. That makes it a little bit more complex, but
>> the alternative is a complex test environment.
> I would prefer a more complex, but realistic test environment that is
> static, for most configurations.  That way, I know where things are, and
> can easily aim tests (including ad-hoc tests/debugging in 'make
> testenv') at whatever parts I need.
What is more realistic about such a test environment? It's just more
complex than the current test environments and can make debugging harder
as there are more factors involved than can cause problems.

Things will still be where they are. I just don't see why you would be
interested in $RANDOM-DOMAIN-MEMBER when you're running a couple of SAMR
tests against a DC.

>>> Well, the first point is that DC1 and DC2 *should* be sharing the same
>>> username and passwords.  The member server will have additional local
>>> users (to verify the local SAM), but the whole point of a member server
>>> is to use the same passwords...
>> Well, I was thinking of the case where two DCs were in different domains
>> but had a trust between them. So, in the case of two dc's in the same
>> domain, you would have a $DC_USERNAME and $DC_PASSWORD but also
>> passwords and ips for various member servers.
> If the cost is a few environment variables, that's a reasonable cost.
My point is, that is also complexity. Not much, but the same thing could
be said for multiple test environments.

> I'm quite happy for tests to declare what environments they need, but
> for the moment, I would really like all those environments to be
> provided.
Like you use 'make testenv', I use "make test TESTS=<NAME>" all the
time. It's very annoying if I have to wait not 10 but 20 or even 30
seconds for provisioning to finish.

I don't mind 'make testenv' setting up more than one environment so you
can do more ad-hoc testing/debugging. Or perhaps having 'make testenv'
set up all environments, while 'make testenv-dc' or 'make
testenv-member' set up just one.

Cheers,

Jelmer