testing depending on perl in Samba 3?

James Peach jpeach at samba.org
Wed Apr 25 16:00:42 GMT 2007

On 25/04/2007, at 2:26 AM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> I'd like to port across the test system in Samba 4 to Samba 3. The
> Samba 4 test system has a couple of advantages over the one currently
> in Samba 3:
>
> * Support for testing domain members (winbind could be tested)
> * Progress indication
> * Ability to run individual tests rather than the whole bunch

Why do we need to depend on Perl for these features?

> However, it would be necessary to depend on perl in Samba 3 for 'make
> test' to run. Is that a problem?

I think that it is very important for test infrastructure to be simple
and transparent. It needs to have very low barriers to entry to get
people to add tests and it needs to be very easy to run and to automate.

If moving to Perl helps achieve this, then I'm happy.

James Peach | jpeach at samba.org