[Samba] Roaming Profile & Folder Redirection Problems

Pat Beyer patrickbeyer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 09:23:44 GMT 2007

I'm having trouble with my Samba PDC, the client machines wont download the default profile from the Samba PDC, I have read your article "[Samba] Roaming Profile & Folder Redirection Problems" and I'm not sure if the problem is on the client side, I suspect the server configuration but I'm new to Samba, and I'm using John Terpstra's book but I cant find the answer to my problem.

Here is my scenario
  I am a teacher in South Africa, I have a completely isolated (network wise) computer lab with 40 windows 2000 professional workstations, and 5 completely different groups of users, requiring completely different software, I would like to restrict each group from using the other groups software, I am trying to set-up this up using samba 3.0.24 running as a PDC, and with mandatory default profiles. In addition to this each user/student requires his/her own folder on the server to save files.

  I have read the Samba HOWTO and TOSHARG, I have successfully installed the PDC and I can connect to it from my client machines, I am also able to save files into different user directories, I am stuck on the profile default part.
Can you please help me, I have attached a copy of my smb.conf file?

Thanks in advance for your help

Kind regards
Pat Beyer