ctdb shortcut locking

Mon Apr 16 06:50:55 GMT 2007

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 04:09:20PM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> What do you think?

Not sure. It's certainly cheap in the non-contended case and
very little and easy to understand code. But I would suspect
that it is quite easy to generate very many processes with
that approach.

And what about the situation where very many children are
waiting for a lock? The child sits in F_WRLCK with SETLKW,
it gets the lock, it has to free it by exiting. Then there's
a window where the lock is free, and I think it is far from
clear that the parent ever gets the chance to try the SETLK
because other children are sitting there in SETLKW. I might
be wrong, but I would like to understand that situation.

Volker