svn commit: samba r22202 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source/nsswitch: .

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Fri Apr 13 04:39:26 GMT 2007

Jeremy,

 > Well, the equivalent. I'm talking about machines going
 > down hard. This happens especially with laptops more
 > than servers/desktops. That's the equivalent of a
 > kill -9 :-).

it's even worse than kill -9 ! With kill -9 data that is already in
the buffer cache gets written. So if all you want to be safe against
is kill -9 then transactions are relatively easy. The machine crashing
can leave part of what has been already written in the file, and part
not, which is why we need all those fsync/msync calls in the
transaction code.

Still, none of this explains why disabling mmap makes the slightest
bit of difference. I'm still very curious about that :-)

Cheers, Tridge