smb service discovery support

Rishi Srivatsavai rishisv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 17:13:57 GMT 2007

On 4/4/07, James Peach <jpeach at samba.org> wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> > Rishi Srivatsavai wrote:
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> I have included svn diff output below that adds support
> >> for discovering smb service. The new diff below uses
> >> lib/events to perform the registration re-try operation.
> >> Please provide feedback on the proposed changes.
> >
> > Rishi, Would you mind opejing a bugzilla exhancement
> > request and attaching this patch to the report?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > How many people would find this patch useful ?
> > I can't say that I use MDNS at all so I need other
> > people to speak up.
>
> OS X uses mdns a lot but in this case launchd does the advertisement
> on samba's behalf. It might be useful to put the list of shares in the
> advertisement so a network browser could then display a sensible list
> of shares without having to query the server.

I initially planned on including list of shares in the advertisement. But
incl.
the list of shares as part of the advertisement involves adding TXT records
the advertisement and not all clients may lookup the advertised TXT records.
On OS X and on the new airport extreme base station the smb service is
advertised and clients query the server for the list of shares.

Rishi