[Proposal] Punt support for security = share when using Windows VIsta

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Apr 10 00:48:15 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 17:33 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Based on some research by Jeremy, it appears that Windows Vista
> was not thoroughly tested against CIFS servers in share mode
> security.  (Jeremy can you refresh my memory here on the details?)
>
> So I'm proposing that we start using this as an incentive to get
> people off of security = share.  We can work around some of the
> bugs but it appears probably not all and IMO we have more important
> work to do anyways.
>
> If anyone wants to be the official "security = share & Vista"
> support developer, I'll be glad to drop the proposal and point
> all the relevant samba at samba.org email to you :-)  Anyone?  Anyone?

IMO we should start printing painful messages in the log whenever people
use security = share.

It would be a waste of time to support this mode further. We all know we
can get the same results with security = user and force user.

Is there any use of security = share that is legitimate and can't be
provided with security = user ?

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce