[SAMBA4] Time for another tech preview?

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Fri Sep 29 23:46:28 GMT 2006

Jerry,

 > I think you have to take the thread in context.
 > Rod was asking about whether or not the next TP
 > would be close enough to the final release that
 > he could write about it.  My gut is that our final
 > releases are always different enough from pre-releases
 > to invalidate documentation.  And developers should
 > be given that freedom so I have no problem with it.

Yes, that's certainly true.

 > What specifically did I say that you don't agree with?

This bit could be read a bit more strongly than I would have put it:

 >>The name is slightly misleading in that it implies that this
 >>particular code base will become the successor to the current Samba
 >>3.0.x releases.

I agree that a writer working on Samba documentation would not benefit
greatly from the Samba4 TPs at the moment, but I wanted to ensure that
nobody assumed the above statement meant that the Samba4 code will not
form the basis for a future release.

How about that for a convoluted sentence! You can see why I'm not a
writer :-)

Cheers, Tridge