[SAMBA4] Time for another tech preview?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Sep 29 05:52:11 GMT 2006

A long time ago, in a universe not that far away, we released our very
first Samba4 Technology Preview (TP1).  It went down very well, as we
announced it to the world at linux.conf.au this year.

A few weeks later, we released TP2.  Then nothing.

There were various reasons:  Advise that we should back off TP releases
until we had something 'big' to show off, and instead do regular
snapshots.  People got busy, did other things, etc.

In the very long time since TP2, we have come a long way, and I think we
do have a good deal to show off.  For example, we now have an SMB2
server, and an LDAP backend.

We also build and test on more platforms than perhaps ever before:
Either something is very, very odd, or Tridge (and others) have been
working really, really hard on portability.  At the moment, we fail on
only 8 hosts, of the 38 we current test against!

When we met at the CIFS conference, there seemed general agreement that
this was a good time to do a TP, but nothing much happened.  I would
like to push this forward myself, or hear good reasons why we should
not.