svn commit: samba r18875 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source/groupdb: .

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Mon Sep 25 00:32:29 GMT 2006

Andrew,

 > LDAP doesn't support empty attributes.  Is there anything in particular
 > wrong with not having the attribute at all?

in the database, its no problem not having the attribute. I was more
thinking about the API we offer. Having to worry about the difference
between an empty string and a non-empty string clutters code, and will
inevitably lead to bugs where our test cases don't test a empty
string.

 > I think Volker's change is correct.

yes, I now think with the current ldb API it is correct. I just wonder
if we should make it easier to get it right, so we don't need special
case code.

as ldb_msg_add_string() is not part of the ldap API, how about we make
it silently not add an attribute if its empty? I wonder if that would
break any usage?

Cheers, Tridge