[patch] ldb in Samba3

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Sat Sep 23 21:07:57 GMT 2006

Volker,

 > ok, done. Completely untested patch below, with auto-upgrade and more
 > error checking.
 >
 > My flight leaves in 5 mins, so if this doesn't work, please wait 30
 > hours :-)

Our usual rule of "untested code is broken code" once again proved
correct.

New patch below. This one adds a test suite (in
script/tests/test_groupmap.sh), plus fixes a large pile of bugs,
including getting the member/alias searches backwards! Upgrade also
seems to work.

I discovered one bug in the tdb backend, which I haven't fixed. When
you delete a local group you can end up with orphaned member pointers
to it in the group records. The code now spits out a message like
this during the upgrade:

  Ignoring orphaned alias record 'S-1-5-21-1947478062-2680643343-3037658919-10002'

This doesn't happen with the ldb backend as the member and group
information is all in the one record.

You can also now set:

  groupmap:nosync = True

to disable the synchronous tdb code. You still get transactions, but
without fsync(). That speeds up some operations a fair bit, at the
expense of making you vulnerable to machine crashes during groupmap
changes.

Cheers, Tridge