PATCH: Fix for *xattr() support on Mac OS X

Michael Bennett michaelone-gen at flylady.net
Wed Sep 6 18:35:41 GMT 2006

I found that bug report after I made my patch and sent it out because
it didn't mention Mac OS X.

The difference between that patch and my patch is that it allows for
operating systems other than Darwin/Mac OS X that use the same style
*xattr() interface to be detected.  It doesn't seem very clever,
though, since it only checks to see if getxattr() supports the extra
parameters, and there are several functions that have extra
parameters on Darwin/Mac OS X.  I searched around and I don't know if
any other OS uses this style (or even if it is a standard) of
extended attribute functions, so the usefulness of detecting this
seems limited.  The position parameter is specific to Darwin/Mac OS X
due to the availability of resource forks.

The flaws with that patch seems to be that it reportedly doesn't work
and is almost half a year old.  I personally haven't tried it.

In short, I think my patch is better because the other one creates a
new autoconf variable when it is not necessary (HAVE_*XATTR and
DARWINOS are sufficient) and also doesn't check for the availability
throughly enough.  Oh, I was also able to get it to compile and work
properly.

What do you think? :-)

--Michael