user interfaces for samba4 or samba3 configuration

James Peach jorgar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 03:39:11 GMT 2006

On 05/09/06, derrell at samba.org <derrell at samba.org> wrote:

> >> I was planning to look at the SOC configuration library
> >> code for Samba3 - I'd be very interested in you adding
> >> a front end to this !
> >
> > I really don't want ejs in Samba 3.  I'm open for discussion
> > but this has a big -1 from me right now.
>
> I wasn't proposing putting ejs in samba3.  My proposed possible samba3 project
> (if not working on replacing ejs with SpiderMonkey in samba4) was to use the
> new configuration library in samba3, write PHP bindings for it (using apache,
> not embedding any web server or scripting language) and begin working on a gui
> for configuration using the capabilities of that new library.

My 2c is that there is a lot of value in having scripting bindings for Samba
configuration APIs, since there are already dozens of configuration GUIs
for Samba which would benefit from bindings

I think there is less value in having an actual configuration GUI. To usefully
manage a file (or directory) server, you need to be able to manage a lot more
than just Samba, so I wonder whether having a unique GUI for Samba is
worth while.

James Peach | jorgar at gmail.com