user interfaces for samba4 or samba3 configuration

derrell at samba.org derrell at samba.org
Wed Sep 6 02:22:54 GMT 2006

Mingwang <mingwxia at gmail.com> writes:

>> If the samba4 team is not interested in having me toy with adding
>> SpiderMonkey, my other potential exercise for the conference is to begin
>> playing with a qooxdoo application for samba3, for configuration.  If I
>> understood correctly, there was a SOC project in samba3, adding a library
>> for configuration.  (Is this true?)  If so, then adding PHP bindings to
>> that
>
> Speaking about this, the new configuration is based on old loadparm.c&
> params.c,it has no RPC or other network related things,but get/set*() API.
> just to make things clear. :)

That's what I thought, and that's fine for this application.  The get/set API
can have PHP bindings created, and those get/set functions can then be called
from a qooxdoo application running on a browser.

The hard part is, of course, in the details: how to design a gui for Samba
configuration that makes the most sense.  That is a highly non-trivial
exercise.  Although I may make a go at it, my real intent here would be to
provide the basic workings so that someone who actually claims to be a GUI
expert could have a foundation to work with.

Derrell