svn commit: samba r18030 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source/tdb/common: .

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Sep 4 22:19:41 GMT 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 08:13:45AM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:

> which is why we're having this discussion!
>
> Not being able to declare a structure inside a structure is to me a
> pretty significant loss of syntax.

It isn't currently being used much inside the Samba3 codebase.
It's like the C99 thing. At some point we need to bite the
bullet and say - you must have long long etc. etc. and drop
support for platforms that don't have it. I'm just not sure
when. I think Jerry's request to the sysadmin lists might
help answer that question.

To me, having structures inside structures isnt' something
we've historically used, and isn't worth creating a gratuitous
(IMHO) incompatibility with any possible future move to C++.

> Do you really want to switch to C++ ??

Not now, but eventually I'd like to have that major change
discussion and make my case (*) :-). I don't want to be hit with
the "well we already depend on nested structures" argument at that
point :-).

Jeremy.

(*) A man's gotta have a dream ! :-).