user interfaces for samba4 or samba3 configuration

derrell at samba.org derrell at samba.org
Mon Sep 4 15:42:24 GMT 2006

"Stefan (metze) Metzmacher" <metze at samba.org> writes:

> derrell at samba.org schrieb:
>> I have two potential exercises to play with at the CIFS conference.  If there
>> is interest from the samba4 team, I'd like to see if it's possible to allow
>> replacing ejs with SpiderMonkey (the javascript engine used in Firefox).  I
>> would hope to implement this in such a way that SpiderMonkey would be a
>> drop-in replacement for ejs, i.e. the ejs functions already being
>> auto-generated would be enhanced, if necessary, with context information
>> required by SpiderMonkey user-added functions, but left in place so that ejs
>> could still be used if desired.  (This makes the most sense, I think, at least
>> until it is decided that SpiderMonkey can easily entirely replace ejs.)  In
>> order to do this work, I will require some assistance with making the pidl (?)
>> changes necessary to add SpiderMonkey context information to the generated
>> javascript-enhancement user functions.  Once SpiderMonkey is in place and
>> working, a much more elaborate gui could be developed much more easily.
>>

> Does that mean that you could start the gui as a standalone like
> application?
>
> I think it would be really cool to have a gui that can be used via the
> browser and also as standalone application, while using the same code.

No, it doesn't mean that.  qooxdoo is an application framework written in
javascript.  the javascript is downloaded from the web server and runs locally
on your browser.  It requires a rendering engine (your browser) to display the
widgets that the javascript code implements.  SpiderMonkey is the javascript
engine, not the rendering engine.

It would certainly be possible to write a non-browser-based application, but
you need _something_ to render those pretty pictures on the screen.

Derrell