LDB hitting production state

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Oct 31 14:10:54 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 15:01 +0100, Bjoern JACKE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some days ago I duscussed with metze how to proceed with packaging of
> ldb as it is used since a while in samba4wins and it will be used soon
> in Samba 3 release. As ldb will provide the ldb tools these tools
> would be provided by samba4wins, Samba 3 (and maybe soon by other
> projects, too).
>
> To avoid file conflicts of those packages it would be best to create a
> stand alone ldb-tools package which samba4wins, samba3 etc. will
> depend on then. If ldb-tools will be build out of a samba3 tar ball
> the problem would be that there are not all database backends
> included. samba4wins for example will require such a backend which is
> not in samba3's ldb branch. According to metze these backends can
> already be provided as plugins and be loaded on demand.  That's nice
> indeed. But: There should be a standard path be defined, where the ldb
> modules are being put. IMHO it wouldn't be good if this is under the
> samba libdir path as that would be different for samba3 and samba4 for
> example. I would suggest to change that default path to /usr/lib/ldb/
> soon.  That change would be very good to be made before ldb is getting
> into production state in Samba3 release.
>
> Metze, if I forgot something to mention, please correct me.
>
> What do the ldb guys think? Simo, Tridge?

This is my goal too, in the end. But actually we still need ldb to be
compiled as part of samba4 (ifdefs that change some behavior).

So for the moment I think the best is to release ldb as part of the
relative projects, as soon as we can finally make sure the same build
works for all the projects we will officially make LDB a separate
project and make all samba versions use the official one (except for
Samba4 where we could require the development version).

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer