CTDB - the 'Mainz' plan for clustered Samba

Andrew Tridgell tridge at au1.ibm.com
Tue Oct 31 01:05:30 GMT 2006

Aleksey,

 > In your paper you say nothing about Samba internal messaging. It doesn't
 > relate to the CTDB idea. But in clustered system we have to replace
 > local messaging (based on signals & messaging.tdb) with some kind of
 > cluster-wide messaging.
 >
 > Anyway, a fast messaging backend will be used in CTDB implementation, so
 > why don't use that for Samba internal messaging purposes?..

sorry for not answering this earlier, I missed it in my email.

We will almost certainly end up using the same messaging layer for
both ctdb and 'internal messaging'. Exactly how we arrange this isn't
worked out yet, and I don't think we need to work it out until we have
built an initial ctdb prototype and started testing it.

The solution will almost certainly involve 'plugging in' a transport
for the internal messaging code.

Cheers, Tridge