ldb speed

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Mon Oct 30 23:10:34 GMT 2006

Simo,

I really think this discussion of making rename fast is completely
pointless. This discussion started with the point that our most common
operation, a simple single record search, is about 5x slower than it
should be. Let's please fix that and forget about speeding up one of
our rarest operations.

We don't even implement the member/memberof stuff yet and we don't have a
benchmark for it. If you want to design something to go fast then the
very first thing you do is write a test that shows just how fast it
already goes. With indexing on member or memberOf I suspect a very
simple implementation using our current structures will be easily fast
enough.

Once you demonstrate a use case that goes slow and is plausible in a
real situation then I will delighted to discuss with you how to fix
it.

Cheers, Tridge