ldb speed

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Mon Oct 30 15:57:21 GMT 2006

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:53:35 +0000
simo <idra at samba.org> wrote:

> > >*memberOf* sorry
> >
> > You may not want to store this. pp20-21
> >
> > http://www.openldap.org/conf/odd-wien-2003/luke.pdf
> >

> I've seen this before, but may I ask why do you prefer to resolve these
> attributes at search time instead of at add/modify/delete/rename time?

So you don't have to update memberOf (and any other back-links) of DN
attrtibutes that change.

> Searching is the most common operation, so optimizing for search is
> always better than any other case.
>
> So let's suppose you have this 10000 users group, do you end up making
> 10000 queries to resolve all the 10000 UUID reference links?

I'm not sure I understand whole thread very well but I don't think you
would need to resolve the UUID unless the DN of the object it points
to was to be returned in the search or the attribute (e.g. memberOf)
was used in the filter of the search. So unless you're searching for
memberOf's on 10000 users then no.

Also, resolving the UUID should be no more costly than a hash index
lookup but I don't know anything about ldb so this is theory.

Mike

--
Michael B Allen
PHP Active Directory SSO