ldb speed

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Mon Oct 30 09:50:36 GMT 2006

Simo,

 > Honestly, to make things easy we should store by GUID, because otherwise
 > in handling renames you need a global lock and traverse each object to
 > make sure there aren't references to the renamed object.
 > Actually we do not check anything but sooner or later we need.

That would have horrible performance for our most common cases.

 > At the same time storing by DN is a big performance advantage. So in the
 > end I think that being able to have 2 keys for the same record could be
 > the best way (GUID and DN) so that references will be stored by GUID
 > (and searches for the GUID will be equally fast) but all other
 > operations will use the normalized DN as key.

no, having 2 keys for every record is a terrible idea. It means that
every add/delete has to update at minimum two things, where we
currently update one.

Renames are _rare_. It doesn't matter if they are hard to code, as
long as they are possible to code (and it is certainly possible!).

Cheers, Tridge