"text file busy" on cifs-mounted dir *doesn't* cause rsync error!

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun Oct 29 13:45:50 GMT 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 03:37:11PM +1300, Jason Haar wrote:
> As the file is locked, b: should fail - but mount.cifs reports it as
> working! A further "ls -l" shows the file hasn't been overwritten.
>
> Is this a Samba bug - or a Windows one?

This came up once before, and the user ended up reporting the bug to the
Samba team.  I consider it to be a deficiency in Windows that it doesn't
have proper inode support (which would allow an opened file to be
replaced in the filesystem without affecting any process that had the
old file open), but the bug probably lies with Samba.

..wayne..