Windows XP Professional can not join Samba Server Domain

Georges C. carrahag at arubadigital.com
Wed Oct 25 01:59:32 GMT 2006

Hello

We can not get our Windows XP Professional workstation to join our Samba
Server configured as a PDC.  We are running Samba 3.0.10-1.4E.9.

We have done the following:
. configured the smb.conf.  A copy of it is below:
[global]
	workgroup = RUCLASERVICES
	netbios name = RUCLASERVICES
	server string = rs-svr1
	passdb backend = smbpasswd:/etc/samba/smbpasswd
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 50
	logon script = logon.bat
	logon path = \\%L\home\%U\profile
	logon drive = H:
	logon home = \\%L\home\%U\data
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 33
	domain master = Yes
	hosts allow = 192.168.0., 127.

. We have added the root password to the smbpasswd.
. DNS is working fine because we can ping the netbios name of the client pc
from the server and vice versa.
. We have run the tests in the SAMBA manual using teh smbclient and
nmblookup commands and they have passed successfully.

When we try to join the domain from the workstation we enter the NETBIOS
name for the DOMAIN.   We then get the prompt for the username and password
for an account that has permissions to join teh domain.  We enter that
username and password for the "root" account on the SAMBA server.  It then
comes back several seconds later with the message:

   The following error occurred attempting to join the domain
"RUCLASERVICES":  The username could not be found.

We have had no luck figuring out why this is the case.  Can anyone tell us
if we are leaving out a step?