testsuite changes

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Tue Oct 24 22:14:39 GMT 2006

Jelmer,

 > That only works on systems with a ld.so that supports the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
 > environment variable, so it would basically limit the shared library support
 > to Linux and FreeBSD. I personally wouldn't have any problems with that,
 > in fact, I'd prefer it as it would make the build system a whole lot saner and
 > we can't support shared libs on all systems anyway. But others might
 > have different opinions...

My attitude is that shared libs are a luxury, not an essential. So if
dropping shared library support for some platforms makes life easier
for us as developers, or simplifies our build system, then I think
that is a good trade off.

We also discussed this on irc, and some questions came up. To
summarise:

 - this doesn't mean we will link samba as a static binary on other
   platforms, we'll still use external shared libs from the OS where
   available, we just won't go out of our way to make our own code
   available as shared libs where this would make life more difficult
   for us as developers

 - it also doesn't mean we'll go out of our way to 'break' shared libs
   on platforms where it is easy to support them. If its trivial to
   support them and doesn't cause developer pain, then we might as
   well.

 - the same argument applies to older linux and *bsd systems as
   well. Some of the early distros have some painful hoops you have to
   jump through for shared libs to be built.

Cheers, Tridge