Embedded System with Samba

James Peach jpeach at samba.org
Sun Oct 22 03:05:24 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 23:54 -0400, David C. Stoll wrote:
> James,
> I am developing a embedded system which need to appear on a window SQL server
> as a computer file share. I was told I could do this using samba but I am having
> a hard time finding documentation for implementation.

Samba is an implementation of the CIFS file sharing protocol. If you
need to export files to a Windows machine, that's exactly what Samba can
do.

> I was told you might be
> able to help me. Do you have any suggestions? I would be grateful. Thanks.

There are lots of folk using Samba in embedded environments. I don't
have any experience with these, but I would guess that it would be
pretty simple to get Samba running in an embedded Linux.

Have a read of http://us1.samba.org/samba/devel/ to get started. If you
have any coding/development questions, ask on samba-technical at samba.org.
If you have any usage questions, ask on samba at samba.org.

Have fun!