remaining tdb changes to merge

Fri Oct 20 11:37:41 GMT 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 08:09:14PM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> On the first difference (char * versus unsigned char *), I'd like to
> change Samba3 to use 'unsigned char *' for that structure, but want to

I'd be fine with that, but I don't want to go through
patching it myself :-)

Stefan promised a patch...

> On the second difference, I'd like to check with Volker and Jeremy as
> to whether you are still aiming for that particular aspect of C++
> compatibility in Samba3.

At least I would like to see this, g++ has for example the
ability to find integer/enum mixups that I could not
persuade gcc to warn for. That and other kinds of warnings,
I have for example found some uninitialized structure
members that gcc did not find.

> On the 3rd difference (the tdbutil.c changes) isn't really suitable
> for merging. It uses lots of stuff that is fairly specific to
> Samba3. I think we should really move tdb/tdbutil.c into lib/util_tdb.c
> in Samba3, and get rid of it completely in Samba4. When tdbutil.c was
> first written it needed to be part of tdb as it looked inside the tdb
> private structures, but I have now removed the last of the
> dependencies on the internals of tdb, and now tdbutil.c is just a
> normal Samba3 source file, using includes.h and nothing extra. It was
> never intended to be part of the public tdb API, as it could only ever
> build as part of Samba, so I don't think it should live in the tdb/
> directory.

Fine with that.

> The final difference (the tools) needs some more merging work. There
> are some Samba3 specific bits in there (like pstring.h) that I think
> should be removed if these tools are to be kept as part of the core of
> tdb.

I do think that these should be part of the core tdb. I'd
have to look at the changes though.

Volker