Explorer and large files

Jon Delacruz jondelac at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 01:16:37 GMT 2006

Hi... I have several large files on a file share that are encrypted.  When
explorer tries to open the file, we decrypt the file and serve it back via a
samba plugin.  The problem is that the decryption can take a long time.

Our question is, as long as samba is up and running, will or should this
cause a problem to the clients (the clients will simply wait for the file to
get decrypted fully)?

We see issued with Explorer and it times out aftrer a while.  We are unsure
if this is because of some error in how we plugged in our encryption module
or if CIFS clients as a rule of thumb will generally time out after say 60
seconds?

Are there any keep alives etc the server can feed the client with in SMB to
keep the client alive?

Jon