WINBINDD_SOCKET_DIR hardcoded

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Thu Oct 12 14:25:09 GMT 2006

We had a task to cause a fileserver to work in two different domains
simultaneously. (Such a task was needed for gradual switching of clients
from the one domain to another, without global system's stopping etc.)

Such a task requires two instances of Samba. One uses normal
config/lib/cache pathes, other uses an alternate.

Samba has a good possibility to differ config file's path (-s option),
log file dir (-l), lock and pid directories ("lock directory", "pid
directory" in the config file). But one thing has remained unhandled --
it is now hardcoded WINBINDD_SOCKET_DIR path.

Winbind's private socket dir can be altered, because it lives under
alterable cache dir. But WINBINDD_SOCKET_DIR (which is "/tmp/.winbindd"
by default, some distros use "/var/run/winbindd" for it) can't be
altered at all.

We have made a hack (attached patch), after which all began to work
fine. Now we have the same fileserver in two different domains (AD +
SambaNT) simultaneously.

Certainly it would be good to have an additional config parameter, say
"winbind socket". With such a parameter the task to run several
independent instances of Samba on the same server will be possible for
any user.

Actually, the given mail suggests to do it. :)

Regards,
Dmitry Butskoy
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy