[SAMBA4] SWAT provisioning broken

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 12 11:18:42 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 18:43 +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Andrew,
>
>  > This is currently blocking the Samba4 TP3 release.
>
> I've fixed the provisioning speed problem.
>
> Main problem was an interaction between provisioning and existing
> partitions with a partitions module. The provisioning code tries to
> wipe the ldb in a 'friendly' way in case processes are already
> attached to it, by searching for all records and deleting them. This
> wasn't working with partitions, as searches don't cross partition
> boundaries. That caused a second provision after the system was
> already installed to proceed very slowly, as it had to do a lot of
> work re-indexing the (large!) schema on each record.

I'm a bit confused.  As the code stood, it did delete the data in the
partitions.  If it did not, then loading the new records would fail.

Furthermore, the new code deletes the contents of the 'old' partitions,
but I'm worried:  If the new provision is configured not to use LDAP
(for example), we will now go off and wipe the old LDAP server.

That is why the old code wiped man DB, initialised the partitions
records, and then wiped the partitions data.