using virtual synchrony for CTDB

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Fri Oct 6 18:30:59 GMT 2006

Tracey,

If latency is an issue in messages, any message that has roundtrip
response time over Ethernet medium will have higher latency then those
messages that do not have round trip responses.

If no response is required over Ethernet from the server before
proceeding to do new operations, then ptp will have less latency then
virtual synchrony.

The performance problem that vs solves is removing the round trip
response time, since every node has a copy of the data and can
immediately handle the request and may continue processing as soon as
the lock request is delivered (self-delivered) instead of waiting for a
response from a server over TCP/IP or some other PTP protocol running
over Ethernet.

Regards
-steve