Samba 4 on AIX: Compile fails - Undefined symbol .va_copy

moitrayee gupta moigupta at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 12:22:08 GMT 2006

Hi,

I've been having some problems compiling Samba 4 on AIX (5.2 and 5.3) using
XL C compiler. The compilation fails with the error:

    ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .va_copy
    ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
information.

I've used the following commands:
    i. ./autogen.sh
   ii. ./configure --prefix=<prefix>
  iii. make

The compilation succeeds when the option "-qlanglvl=extc99" is manually
included in CFLAGS, and passed to the configure script as follows :
./configure CFLAGS="-qlanglvl=extc99" --prefix=<prefix>

My question is this : Shouldn't this option get added automatically to
CFLAGS when the configure script is run? I've had a look at the two AIX
machines in the samba.org build farm (oehmesrs6k,which uses cc and
aix1,which uses gcc) - there doesn't seem to be a problem with them. Could
this be an XL C-specific problem that needs to be fixed?

Additional details:
Samba 4 revision : 19117
Platform :               AIX 5.2 and 5.3 (both 32 bit and 64 bit)
Compiler :              XL C 8.0.0.11
Attachments :       Output of configure and make
                              (config.log can be provided on request,as it
is too large to attach here)

regards,
Moitrayee.