updated newidmap

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Oct 4 00:32:41 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 19:20 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, simo wrote:
>
> > Example:
> >
> > default:tdb:10000:15000
> > DOMX:ad:15001:3000000000
> >
> > allocator:10000:15000
> >
> > now if you do more than 5k allocs you are out of luck, there is no easy
> > way around it. And changing all the mappings in AD to make more room is
> > not easier than coping with a configuration where you have multiple
> > range allocations.
>
> Except allowing ranges per domain makes it easier for the admin
> to paint himself/herself in a corner.  We may not can solve all
> the possible issues but we don't have to tie the noose for the
> admin.

Yes I know this is the "mainstream" mantra :-)

> Since several people have voiced concerns against per domain ranges,
> I would consider this a dead issue for now.  I really doubt you will
> be able to convince everyone otherwise.

I have already agreed to not pursue that.
I am not mad at it. :-)

Can you please check the last version of the document (same URL) and see
if it meets your expectation and understanding of the proposal?

SImo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer