updated newidmap

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Oct 3 15:56:52 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 08:47 -0700, James Peach wrote:
> On 03/10/06, simo <idra at samba.org> wrote:
> > I have updated the document
> > ( http://samba.org/~idra/samba3_newidmap.pdf ) to eliminate the flags
> > and change IDmap behavior accordingly to my last email of this night.
>
> Simo, what are your thoughts about the upgrade path for this? Will that depend
> on each idmap backend?

No the default behavior will be completely backward compatible.
If you have not defined a backend then the current tdb will be used.
Otherwise the current tdb will be simply discarded and the backend
specified will be used.

I will use parametrical options (and transform idmap backend in a list
of domain:module pairs but backwards compatible with the current one) if
you want to switch to use the new behavior.

The only backend configuration that may change is the never officially
supported extensions to the rid backend to make it support multiple
domains. With the new syntax and code it will be much easier to support
it officially (even if I still think it is not a very good idea to use
it).

> Also, would it be useful to provide a generic way for administrators to make
> static ID mappings in the idmap layer?

We will need to think about that, yes, do you have any proposal in mind?

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer