defining the new idmap subsystem

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Oct 3 03:10:54 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 13:03 +1000, Luke Howard wrote:
> >I think the code will be much uglier but if most want that, so be it.
> >But I'd like some more people complaining about that, before changing.
>
> I agree with Jeremy, having something done as a side-effect of an
> interface whose primary purpose is to query seems like a bad idea
> to me.

The problem is that the primary purpose depends on the context.
In some cases we just want to know if a mapping exist, but don't want to
actually trigger a mapping, in others we want to trigger a new mapping,
but that will happen only if the backend supports it.

So this is just a sort of preference. The need to specify query_only is
really only a hint we use to avoid mapping unnecessarily, but 99% of the
time we see a SID or a UID/GID we really want to make sure we have a
mapping if possible.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce