status of extra_cflags.txt

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Nov 30 10:37:38 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 08:43:20PM -0800, James Peach wrote:
> On 29/11/2006, at 5:06 AM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> >On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 10:41 -0800, James Peach wrote:
> >>What's the status of extra_cflags.txt (cflags.map?)? I can see
> >>that it
> >>is generated by smb_build, but it's not obvious how to get things
> >>into
> >>it. Exactly wehat is the relationship between what goes into the .mk
> >>files and what comes out into extra_cflags.txt?
> >It's generated based on the CFLAGS field set for the dependencies
> >of a particular subsystem.
> >So, in the case of "smbclient" that needs popt headers:

> >[SUBSYSTEM::POPT] has CFLAGS = -Ilib/popt/

> >[BINARY::smbclient] has PRIVATE_DEPENDENCIES = POPT
> 'k I see. What does PUBLIC_DEPENDENCIES do?
Public dependencies are the dependencies that any user of a particular
system will also need. Private ones are dependencies that are
internal.

For example, ldb uses tdb internally but anybody using tdb
doesn't need to include any tdb headers, so tdb is a private
dependency.

ldb also uses talloc and talloc is required by users of ldb, so ldb is
a public dependency.

That's the intended situation, the settings for most subsystems isn't
correct yet. A lot more subsystems have public dependencies where they
can be private, for example.

> >>For example, when I add a source file that includes popt_common.h, I
> >>need extra_cflags.txt for that file to have an additional -I./lib/
> >>popt ... how do I make this happen?
> >Add POPT to the list of dependencies for the subsystem that needs
> >popt.
> So the last argument to SMB_SUBSYSTEM is the list of extra header
> paths that client of this subsystem will get? Is there a way to
> specify an extra include path for external libraries?
What do you mean exactly? External libraries found by configure should
be defined using SMB_EXT_LIB(), or do you mean something else?

Cheers,

Jelmer