unicode filename in NTCreateAndX

Wed Nov 29 06:21:37 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 02:26:39PM +1100, Alison Winters wrote:
> 1. What clients send UCS-2-encoded filenames?

This can be negotiated by the client (highest bit in the
flags2 field of the smb header), all clients that are
able to send ntcreate&x are able to negotiate unicode.
Unicode here means UTF-16.

> 2. How do i tell from the server side what to expect?
>    (memchr(data + 51, 0, file_name_len) is kinda a lame test)

Look at that flags field.

> 3. Is it possible sometimes the first byte of the UCS-2 string is
>    uninitialized?  Is this one of those weird freaky alignment things?

Yes, this is alignment. This is done via some wild macro
calls from nttrans.c:576 down in charcnv.c:1193.

> 4. Is there a non-sucking way to cast a byte array input stream to a
>    proper unicode string in STL?

No idea, I don't program C++. Ask Jeremy here :-)

Volker