smbtorture - why has it's output format changed?

Gary R. Schmidt grschmidt at acm.org
Fri Nov 24 05:32:04 GMT 2006

Ranting over, here are a couple of suggestions for smbtorture:

1 - Pass on the --maximum-runtime parameter when smbtorture() forks, so
that children will exit when the parent times out.

2 - Wrap each test with easily recognisable start and end tags, e.g.:
   TORTURE Starting: BASE-LOCK1
   TORTURE Failed: BASE-LOCK1
or
   TORTURE Success: BASE-LOCK1
or
   TORTURE Timeout: BASE-LOCK1

3 - Every test should be accessible from the command line.  If I want to
call BASE-LOCK3 before BASE-LOCK1 has set up what it needs, that is my
problem.

4 - Grouping tests is good, so that, for example, BASE-LOCK1 to
BASE-LOCKn could be run simply by passing BASE-LOCK.  The output in that
case should be like:
   TORTURE Group Start: BASE-LOCK
   TORTURE Starting: BASE-LOCK1
   TORTURE Success: BASE-LOCK1
   TORTURE Starting: BASE-LOCK2
   TORTURE Success: BASE-LOCK2
   TORTURE Group End: BASE-LOCK Tests: 100 Success: 75 Fail: 20 Skip 5
Success rate: 75.00%

This means that the individual tests are visible, and the group
information is also available.
And test BASE-LOCKx can still be run directly.
And, of course, the help message should show that this set of tests can
be run by specifying this group.
An obvious extension is then to have groups of groups.

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)