smbtorture - why has it's output format changed?

Gary R. Schmidt grschmidt at acm.org
Thu Nov 23 22:21:50 GMT 2006

Okay, I spent a few days a while ago whacking up a parser for the output
of smbtorture so it could be used as a "see, it works" sort of thing,
(pointed at Samba 3 servers (and yes, I *know* it's not really meant for
that, but it's a good yardstick)).

Yesterday, I update my samba 4 sources after some time in limbo, build
it anew, and find that it has all changed.

Why?

I can understand adding tests, and I can almost understand changing it
to allow sub-tests, but removing tests?  No, you don't do that.

And changing the output format?  Who do you think you are?  Microsoft?

It merely wastes my time adding wrappers and so forth to make it
parseable again, but I can no longer rely on it in any form, for all I
know the next iteration will remove *all* functionality from it.

So, how persistent will the "new" smbtorture structure be?

	Cheers,
		Gary	B-)