Registry Shares?

Chetan S cshring at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 07:20:59 GMT 2006

On 11/22/06, Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 12:38:47PM +0530, Chetan S wrote:
> > This is important considering the huge amount of parameters that could
> > be associated with a share. And a change in the path via smb.conf
> > would result in a huge unnecessary update in the backend
> > tdb/ldb/anything.
>
> Not necessarily. If we store it somewhere else, the root can
> change without data change. But with the current storage model
> you're right, yes.
>
> > REG_SZ_MULTI is not necessary for all the parameters , but for only
> > the string ones. The rest (numbers , bools ) could be dealt with
> > REG_SZ. Advantage ? The length is fixed and definite.
>
> REG_SZ is not fixed either. For numbers and bools there
> would be REG_DWORD :-)

The way the reg api handles it, REG_SZ is indeed limited. :)

However wouldn't it make sense to preserve the value as original
string ? or should it be parsed and taken care of by the reg api ??
Pushing the parsing to later stage has its advantages of single point
validation (at later stage) and quicker rpc

regards,
Chetan Shringarpure