[out,unique] in rpccli_* ?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Nov 21 23:21:34 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 18:13 +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The current 3_0 pidl generation has the problem that
> [out,unique] pointers are not handled correctly. The
> attached pidl patch converts calling convention from * to **
> for the output unique pointers.
>
> The compressed diff is the patch to the winreg and unixinfo
> client routines. I think we need to do the same to the
> server stubs as well, the server routines should decide what
> to return for a unique pointer.
>
> Comments?
This is traditionally fixed in IDL by simply having two pointers in the
IDL, where the top one is a ref pointer (which is not encoded on the
wire):

uint32 **foo;

would be the same as

uint32 *foo;

I'd favor this approach as it is compatible with the IDL used by the
other compilers and it makes sure the IDL and C interface are the same.

I've just made pidl warn about top-level pointers that are not ref
pointers (these are not even possible in standard IDL).

Would it be ok if I revert your change and fix this in the IDL instead?

Cheers,

Jelmer