Registry Shares?

Tue Nov 21 21:56:54 GMT 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 04:51:40PM -0500, simo wrote:
> Volker I did some work in samba4 to put share definitions on an ldb
> database. I think makling shares accessible vie the registry is a very
> interesting idea, what about discussing this development a bit and maybe
> come to agree to something that can implemented in both tree in a
> compatible way (from the user interface pov at least) ?

I think the user interface is quite simple IMO. We have a
registry key per share and the params are represented by the
individual values. Two things to talk about:

Where do we put it in the registry? The path proposed is
just that: A quick proposal.

How do we cope with the data types? For example "valid
users" would be a perfect fit for REG_SZ_MULTI, "force
create mode" is more of the numeric type. Right now I assume
everything as a string, but this is what I mean by "rough".

Apart from that, the registry data modes is just a perfect
match for the smb.conf shares.

Volker