[Samba4] Using existing samba3 data from an external LDAP with samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Nov 16 10:00:17 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 14:54 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 17:40 +0200, Martin Kühl wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The following are notes I've taken while trying to connect a samba4
> > service
> > to the samba3 data contained in the LDAP directory of a UCS[1] system.
>
> Thankyou very much for those notes.  I've been spending the last little
> while too deep in Kerberos land, but have just come up for air.
>
> I've been working to remove some of the issues I've seen in the ldb_map
> module.  In particular, I think I've improved the handling of the search
> mappings.  The aim is always to look from the local to remote names, so
> we can have multiple local attributes based on on remote attribute.
>
> I'm currently struggling with the samba3sam test.  It seems to me that
> it expects to be able to read and write both database views.  I think I
> need to restructure it to only ever write via the samba4 'way of seeing
> things'.

I've fixed up ldb_map, and the tests.  I should look at your patch
soon.

> Did you redo the test script after you made your patch?  I am interested
> in applying them.

I'm rather keen not to loose the samba3sam testsuite, even if we never
use that module for anything else.  That said, I think your approach is
the correct one:  Use as many Samba3 attributes as possible, but expect
the directory to accept any other AD attributes.