oplocks causing more trouble than benefit ?

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Thu Nov 9 07:13:04 GMT 2006

Volker Lendecke ha scritto:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 01:42:57PM +0100, Marcello Romani wrote:
>> Everytime this happened, the user would restart the machine and
>> everything was fine, except Outlook complained it could not open the
>> personal folders file because it was already in use by another user (or
>> process, I don't remember the error message exactly).
>
> Try 'reset on zero vc = yes'.
>
> Volker

Our network employs dhcp.

Suppose PC1 freezes (or reboots) leaving some files open.
If nothing else happens on the net, when it comes up againt it will
likely get the same IP from the dhcp server.

But before PC1 boots, another client could get its former IP address.

Could this cause problems ?

Also, it seems to me that after disabling oplocks some sort of "session
overwriting" is already in place, as I didn't see the "file already in
use" problem anymore.
(I should do some deeper tests, though).

Thank you.

--
Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT