oplocks causing more trouble than benefit ?

Tue Nov 7 18:38:46 GMT 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 01:42:57PM +0100, Marcello Romani wrote:
> I didn't notice any slowdown after disabling oplocks, but this might be
> because our network and fileserver are usually underloaded.

How did you measure it? Clients tend to behave radically
differently if oplocks are granted. In particular you will
see a lot less round-trips for opening/closing files.

> So my question is: why are oplocks on by default ? Wouldn't it be safer

Because they reduce load on the server and make client
operations faster.

> (and more trouble-free) to turn them off by default and specify under
> which circumstances they might give the performance improvements that
> justify their adoption ?

I don't think that oplocks per se are unsafe. If you google
for oplock problems then you will see that 99% of problems
with oplocks have to do with network problems that Samba can
not do much against.

Volker