mod_auth_ntlm_winbind breakage with Samba 3.0.23?

Kevin Shanahan kmshanah at ucwb.org.au
Mon Nov 6 22:54:18 GMT 2006

Hi there,

We've been getting ready to move our Intranet applications over to
Apache, using mod_auth_ntlm_winbind for SSO. I had this set up and
working for a while, but recently we upgraded Samba from 3.0.21 (I
think, might have been 3.0.22) to 3.0.23c (Simo's Debian binary
packages).

This seems to have broken apache in strange ways. I'm seeing a wierd
page with the standard apache 401 page at the top, then a partial copy
of the actual document below.

Anyway, I know nobody really has time to work on this apache module, but
does anyone think it's likely that changes with Samba 3.0.23 (or maybe
3.0.22) would have broken this module?

Would it be harmful in any way to downgrade to an earlier Samba or even
just winbind version to test if this is the cause?

Thanks,
Kevin.